Jordan 1-0 Indonesia

Tashkent: Jordan secured their passage to the quarter-final stage of the 2010 AFC U-16 Championship with a 1-0 win over Indonesia in their final Group A game at JAR stadium on Thursday.

The score-line, however, did not do justice to Jordan’s attack as Indonesia, seeming more than happy to sit back and defend, faced a veritable barrage from the West Asians, who needed to win to stay in the competition.

In the end, a 70th minute header from Omar Al Hasani was enough to seal the win and Jordan’s first progression to the knockout stage at this tournament.

Jordan carved out the game’s first real attempt after 12 minutes when Al Hasani’s shot from 10 yards was matched by an equally good save by Indonesian keeper Achmad Kurniawan.

The deadlock was almost broken from the resulting corner but Ehsan Haddad’s flighted attempt went inches past Kurniawan’s right hand post.

Indonesia almost took the lead in audacious fashion in the 15th minute when Antoni Nugroho’s free-kick from just inside the Jordan half was parried away by Mohammad Abunabhan after the back-tracking Jordanian keeper had initially misjudged the long-range effort.

Just after the half-hour mark, Jordan coach Jonathan Hill brought on fresh legs, replacing Ahmad Israiwah with Saleh Saleh in midfield, while four minutes from the break Hill sought more attacking intent from his players, bringing on midfielder Abdel Ghaith for defender Majd Faris.

And the changes nearly paid dividends just two minutes later when Ghaith found himself one-on-one with Kurniawan but the keeper was able to block the shot.

The chances kept coming and with a minute of the half remaining, Laith Al Bashtawi fired a 20-yard shot which had Kurniawan beaten but clipped the crossbar and went over.

Jordan continued to dominate in the second half, and in the 55th minute, Tamer Sober met a superb cross from the left but his headed effort went inches past the right-hand post.

Indonesia seemed content to hold on for the draw, making two changes in their defence, but Jordan continued to threaten.

And their persistence was at last rewarded 20 minutes from time when defender Basil Abuhelweh put in a perfect cross from the left, and an unmarked Al Hasani had no trouble putting the header past a static Kurniawan.

Ghaith had his chance to double the lead seven minutes from time, running onto a brilliant through ball from the left, but his dangerous, left-footed drive went the wrong side of the post.

Saleh then carved a beautiful opportunity for himself on the brink of stoppage time, when he successfully rounded Kurniawan but with three Indonesian defenders on the line, the substitute fired inches wide


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s